Fifth Annual Fundraising Screening of “Ghosts of Goldfield” Returns to The Space Thursday, October 28
UNSHAKEABLE is thriving at five! The Las Vegas-based nonprofit is celebrating five years of guiding women recovering from trauma, including human trafficking, substance addiction, domestic violence and homelessness, to return to the workforce and achieve financial independence and self-reliant living.
In celebration of its fifth anniversary, and just in time for Halloween, UNSHAKEABLE will host a special fundraising screening of the “Most Horrible Horror Movie Ever,” Ghosts of Goldfield, on Thursday, Oct. 28 from 6-9 p.m. at The Space, located at 3460 Cavaretta Court in Las Vegas.
The campy horror movie was produced by UNSHAKEABLE founder and president, Debbie Isaacs, and filmed in central Nevada, in the old mining town of Goldfield right outside of Tonopah. The 2007 film, starring Kellan Lutz, Marnette Patterson, Mandy Amano, Scott Whyte, Chuck Zito, “Rowdy” Roddy Piper and Ashly Margaret Rae, is based on the actual haunted hotel in Goldfield, Nevada.
In addition to the viewing of the cult classic, the event will also feature light food and beverages. Costumes are encouraged! The event is open to the public, with a discretionary donation collected at the door. For more information and to RSVP, please visit https://unshakeable.org/most-horrible-horror-movie-ever/.
Over the past five years, UNSHAKEABLE has partnered with local programs and organizations, such as WIN (Women In Need) Court, Youth Offender (YO) Court, Resources and Integration of Survivor Empowerment (R.I.S.E.), Fearless Kind, S.A.F.E. House and many others that provide rescue, shelter, addiction recovery and emotional counseling for at-risk women, overcoming the many obstacles that currently exist in Clark County, including:
– Single-female head of households with children make up at least 20% of the households in Clark County, with this demographic often being the most at-risk for homelessness or substandard living.
– Las Vegas is identified as one of the 13 High Intensity Child Prostitution Areas by the FBI’s Innocence Lost Initiative, with the average age being only 15 years old. Many are pushed into the sex trade by either human trafficking or out of desperation due to poverty or the foster-care system.
– Economic instability will drive individuals to do whatever they need to survive, with over 28% of women returning to their former lifestyles after getting released from prison.
The services the women receive at shelters, safe houses and sober houses are a critical first step on their path to restoration and provide emotional healing from the trauma experienced from human trafficking, addiction, abuse or homelessness. UNSHAKEABLE provides the essential next step of career development support to ensure sustainable financial independence and to reduce the rate of recidivism with its Empower to Employ Program:
– The women UNSHAKEABLE serves have limited work experience or none, education gaps and arrest records. They struggle to gain any form of employment when they complete their rehabilitation programs, much less launch a career that will provide sustainable employment and financial independence. Their economic vulnerability makes them susceptible to fall back into the life they worked so hard to escape.
– The Empower to Employ Program offers the 12-class I AM Series, individual career development and a Business Alliance aiming to change the economics of at-risk women in order to change their future.
– The I AM Series brings community and industry leaders together to teach participants they are worth it, to love and value who they are, and empower them to make choices for themselves from a place of emotional, relational, physical, financial and vocational strength. Classes cover topics in business acculturation, life skills for independent living and rebuilding self-esteem.
– Participants are encouraged to discover and explore career paths that leverage their talents and their passions regardless of their education, so they will be UNSHAKEABLE in their recovery and on their journey to financial independence.
– Individual career development is provided to graduates of the I AM Series. Career pathing services include assessing passion and skills, identifying and removing barriers to employment, scheduling career chats and job-shadowing experiences, assisting with employment applications and prepping for interviews. UNSHAKEABLE leverages existing relationships in the Business Alliance or solicits new businesses to add new industries based on the specific needs of its clients.
– The UNSHAKEABLE Business Alliance helps to bridge the gap between women in recovery and leading companies in Nevada. These partners agree to give job applications from UNSHAKEABLE clients a second review and, with some partners, a guaranteed interview.
– UNSHAKEABLE offers these services at no cost to the women or to our partners who refer their clients, with 54 clients currently enrolled in the program.
Since its inception, UNSHAKEABLE has touched more than 250 lives, including these five women:
– Shakeira M., who has now entered her tenth month of successful sobriety, obtained a Nevada driver’s license, has her own vehicle, is pursuing her new career as a CDL truck driver, is working to receive her high school diploma, and is due to have a baby boy this October.
– Adjele S. who took part in the Winter I Am Series earlier this year and was hired as a hostess for Carmine’s in the Forum Shops. UNSHAKEABLE will now focus on her passions to identify her career goals and walk with her in achieving them.
– Gabby D., one of UNSHAKEABLE’s “Original Five” who took part in their Spring 2018 I AM Series, and was able to secure a position with Costco. She has now set her sights on becoming a physical therapist and is pursuing the required education at CSN to be certified as a physical therapist assistant.
– Caitlin M., who, after completing her Winter 2021 I AM Series with UNSHAKEABLE, moved to a transitional home called West Care, and is now a receptionist at a veterinary clinic. In having this consistent employment, Caitlin is now slated to move into a sober living house by the end of the month.
– Elizabeth W., who was introduced to UNSHAKEABLE’s non-profit partner Generation, which offers 100% tuition free IT Training remotely, with a guaranteed certification. She is scheduled to graduate by January 2022 with a promising new vocation that will help facilitate her to accomplish her goals.
Founded by Las Vegas producer Debbie Isaacs, UNSHAKEABLE aims to inspire, teach and empower women in recovery from trauma, including homelessness, substance addiction, domestic violence, and human trafficking. UNSHAKEABLE created the Empower to Employ Program that offers the 12-class I AM Series, individual career development and a Business Alliance aiming to change the economics of at-risk women in order to change their future. UNSHAKEABLE offers these services at no cost to the women or their partner organizations. For more information, visit www.unshakeable.org.