Southern Nevada demonstrated remarkable support during Hunger Action Month in September, raising $518,290 for Three Square Food Bank. As a result, the charitable organization will distribute 1,554,870 meals to individuals facing food insecurity.
Hunger Action Month is an annual nationwide campaign that takes place each September, where people come together to raise awareness about hunger in America and inspire action. The generous support enables Three Square to continue its battle against hunger. More than 274,000 individuals, constituting one in eight people, find themselves unable to obtain proper nourishment to sustain healthy and active lifestyles.
“We are delighted to have such an incredible amount of support from our community partners each year during Hunger Action Month,” said Beth Martino, president and CEO of Three Square Food Bank. “Through the community’s collective efforts, we were able to provide 1,554,870 additional meals for our food-insecure neighbors, and we look forward to seeing what we can accomplish next year.”
Three Square is one step closer to a hunger-free community thanks to the following sponsors: Boyd Gaming Corporation, Aetna, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Anthem Injury Lawyers, CSAA, Desert Produce Sales, Findlay Kia, InTouch Credit Union, JPMorgan Chase Bank, MSTS – Nevada National Security Site, NRG Energy Inc., Raising Cane’s, Rimini Street and The Venetian Resorts.
me tell your story, Vegas.
Contact Jennifer Bradley, PR Practitioner of the Year
It was an action-packed September with plenty of ways to get involved during Hunger Action Month, from volunteering and donating to hosting virtual food drives. Efforts included:
- Three Square’s Community-wide Virtual Food Drive returned this year, providing community members the opportunity to donate throughout September.
- Audacy and Hunger Related Events teamed up with Three Square to host the annual 4 Corners Food Drive from September 26-29. Mix 94.1 FM led the efforts by broadcasting live from various Albertsons locations to collect food and funds, with the remaining Audacy radio stations encouraging listeners to take action. The four-day effort raised more than 221,000 meals for Three Square.
- Strike Out Hunger, Three Square Night at the Las Vegas Ballpark, in partnership with the Las Vegas Aviators and Reno Aces, took place on September 23.
- Las Vegas filled up for a good cause at The Giving Pump. Throughout September, specially marked, colorful purple pumps at participating Shell stations across the city allowed givers to donate a portion of their fill-up to Three Square.
- Dine with a Purpose returned to The Forum Shops at Caesars Palace from September 1-30, allowing diners to enjoy incredible dishes while supporting those struggling with hunger across the valley.
- Once again, longtime supporter Lotus Broadcasting participated with the KOMP-92.3 FM Radiothon on September 15.
For more information about Three Square and its programs, visit www.threesquare.org.
About Three Square Food Bank
A national model project inspired by Founder Eric Hilton with a grant provided by the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, Three Square is Southern Nevada’s only food bank and largest hunger relief organization, serving Las Vegas and all of Clark, Lincoln, Esmeralda and Nye counties.
Since opening in 2007, Three Square has provided more than 550 million pounds of food to hundreds of thousands of people in need and earned a reputation as one of the most efficient and effective food banks in the country.
Three Square is a community collaborative partnership with businesses, nonprofit agencies, food distributors, higher education institutions, the Clark County School District, governmental entities, the media and thousands of volunteers working together to support food-insecure Southern Nevadans.
Last year, Three Square provided nearly 43 million pounds of food, the equivalent of nearly 36 million meals, through its network of community partners. A member of the Feeding America network of food banks, Three Square remains committed to its mission of providing wholesome food to hungry people, while passionately pursuing a hunger-free community.
If you or someone you know needs food assistance, or wants to learn more about Three Square’s vision of a community where no one is hungry, please connect at threesquare.org, Facebook (@ThreeSquareFoodBank), Instagram (@threesquarelv) and Twitter (@threesquarelv).