JW Marriott Resort & Spa Las Vegas and Rampart Casino host their first blood drive of 2021 with Vitalant commemorating National Blood Donor Month.
- January is National Blood Donor Month. Blood donors are vital to ensuring blood is available for the one in seven people who enter the hospital and require blood to survive. Eligible blood donors are encouraged to donate at the upcoming blood drive to kick off making an impact in 2021. Vitalant hopes those donating, will make a resolution to donate regularly to support patients relying on transfusions this year.
- COVID-19 continues to significantly impact blood drives and the number of individuals who are healthy and available to give blood. Cold and flu season, winter storms and the recent holidays have also put a strain on the blood supply.
- Since the beginning of the pandemic, more than 14,600 Vitalant blood drives have been forced to cancel due to COVID-19, representing about 364,000 uncollected donations.
- All blood types are needed to help ensure patients continue to have the blood they depend on for surgeries and ongoing medical treatment.
- Every two seconds, someone in the U.S. needs a blood transfusion.
- Donors participating in this drive with a successful donation will also receive a voucher for a free breakfast burrito at Sonic.
A need also continues for convalescent plasma donations of those who have recovered from the virus. The convalescent plasma, which contains antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, can be given to patients currently fighting COVID-19. The community is the key to helping save lives in 2021.
Donors are encouraged to keep social distancing recommendations by scheduling an appointment online to reserve a spot by visiting www.bloodhero.com. Enter ‘RAMPART CASINO’ as the code and donors are able to sign up for this blood and plasma drive, as well as other upcoming drives.
To be eligible for plasma donation, you must have had COVID-19 symptoms plus:
- A prior laboratory diagnosis of COVID-19, either by a positive nasal/oral swab test OR a positive test for SARS-CoV-2 antibodies requested by your health care provider. Blood donors are NOT tested for coronavirus.
- Complete resolution of symptoms for at least 28 days. Do not donate blood if you are sick.
- All other donor eligibility for an automated plasma donation
Saturday, Jan. 30 & Sunday, Jan. 31, 2021
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
JW Marriott Las Vegas / Rampart Casino
221 N. Rampart Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89145