Vegas New Year’s Eve is back, baby!
New Year’s Eve activities return after a long hiatus. In 2020, Las Vegas experienced the most toned-down New Year’s Eve the city has ever seen; while the pandemic is not quite finished, tremendous progress has been made in the previous year.
This year, the mega concerts, world-famous DJ club performances, and all-out parties are back in action to ring in 2022.
Here’s what’s going on around town:
- Fireworks on the Strip After taking last year off, Fireworks by Grucci will once again design and choreograph an eight-minute display of pyrotechnic wizardry at midnight on December 31, launching from atop several resorts, including Resorts World, MGM Grand, Planet Hollywood, Treasure Island, Venetian and the Strat.
- Fremont Street Experience The Downtown drag will host the official New Year’s Eve party for the City of Las Vegas, an ’80s- and ’90s-themed dance party featuring live performances from Bobby Brown, Vanilla Ice, Village People, Tone Loc and A Flock of Seagulls. Early bird tickets cost $35 through December 23 before a Christmas Eve increase, and of course the Viva Vision light show will display custom graphics all night long. December 31, 6 p.m., vegasexperience.com.
- Area15 The year-old, much buzzed-about art and entertainment experience destination just off the Strip will host Playa Playground for its first official New Year’s party, spanning across three venues with different “sound camps,” art car stages, interactive installations, food trucks, games, carnival rides and more. Tickets started at $235 at press time. December 31, 8 p.m., area15.com.
- Katy Perry If there’s ever been a pop artist you just know will build a spectacular Las Vegas Strip residency production show, it’s Perry, who takes the baton from Resorts World’s opening act, Carrie Underwood, just in time for New Year’s Eve. December 29 & 31, January 1, Resorts World Theatre, axs.com.
- Lizzo The singer, rapper and budding fashion icon helps Virgin Hotels Las Vegas wrap up its rookie season with smash summer single “Rumors” and plenty more tricks in her arsenal. December 31, Theater at Virgin, axs.com.
- The Go-Go’s The ground-breaking ’80s rockers come to Vegas fresh from being inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Now the Strip gets to ring in 2022 with “We Got the Beat,” “Our Lips Our Sealed,” “Vacation” and many more hits live at the Venetian. December 31-January 1, Venetian Theatre, ticketmaster.com.
- Maroon 5 The pop band’s annual visit is an institution at this point, and it moves to the Cosmopolitan this year. Seems like Adam Levine and company should just go all in on a residency, doesn’t it? December 30-31, the Chelsea, ticketmaster.com.
- Usher The multitalented R&B megastar brought the Strip one of its biggest parties in years with his raucous residency show at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace. December 28-29 & 31 & January 1, the Colosseum, ticketmaster.com.
- The Chainsmokers Alex Pall and Andrew Taggart ring in the New Year like the genre-bending EDM veterans they are. December 31, XS Nightclub, wynnsocial.com.
- Zedd Catch the “Clarity” star in his natural element before the year’s up—and then do it all over again when he returns for his regularly scheduled performances in 2022. December 31, Zouk Nightclub, zoukgrouplv.com.
- Steve Aoki Rest assured, there’s an Aoki remix for everyone, and you can dance your way into 2022 with it. December 31, Omnia Nightclub, hakkasangroup.com.
- Rick Ross Drai’s rooftop is the perfect place to catch a “yacht rap” vibe—and a view of the spectacular fireworks. December 31, Drai’s Nightclub, draisgroup.com.
- One Steakhouse The Morton family stronghold at Virgin Hotels Las Vegas is focusing on surf and turf pairings from chef Patrick Munster to ring in the new year, such as Snake River Farms’ Wagyu strip loin with Alaskan king crab legs or filet mignon with a massive Maine lobster tail. The full menu will also be available, and the swanky new restaurant opens at 5 p.m. Onesteakhouselv.com.
- Tao Asian Bistro three seatings and two different price packages, this institution is rolling out all the classic dishes (Peking duck spring rolls, chicken satay with peanut sauce, five spice short ribs and more) and bringing the DJs and dancers into the restaurant culminating in a midnight countdown and Champagne toast. Taolasvegas.com.
- Eiffel Tower Restaurant The legendary Paris Las Vegas destination will start early at 4 p.m. so the first guests can catch the sun setting across the Strip skyline. There are three more seatings for two-hour experiences throughout the night, with each preset menu starring elegant French cuisine such as foie gras with persimmons compote, loup de mer and vegetarian wellington. Twenty bucks says someone gets engaged while you dine. Eiffeltowerrestaurant.com.
To read Las Vegas Weekly’s full New Year’s Eve guide, click here or pick up the print copies at a stand near you on 12/23.