As the name suggests, penny slot machines accept bets starting at just $0.01 per coin. However, that’s not to say that you can actually play with just 1 cent.
Although the lowest coin denomination is indeed $0.01, you will realistically need to wager more on each spin when playing penny slot machines.
The minimum bet per coin may be just one cent, but you will often need to place bets across multiple coins and paylines with each spin in a penny slot game. This could involve using 5 coins across 20, 50, or even 100 paylines. Still, that being said, these games are popular across the globe – they are some of the best mobile slots at online casinos and some of the most popular games at Las Vegas casinos, as all types of players queue up to play them.
Although the name would indicate that these are the most affordable games around, the reality is somewhat different. In fact, the minimum cost to play penny slots can be anywhere between $0.50 to $1.00 – and that’s exactly why penny slot games make up a lot of the revenue in Las Vegas.
So, for example, imagine the penny slot game you want to play asks you to make a bet of 5 credits per line and play with the maximum number of paylines per spin. In this instance, you could need to pay up to 100 pennies – $1 per spin or even more if you’re playing a 5-credit, 20-payline penny slot.
But we still love them – and Las Vegas casinos know this… and they make sure we have plenty of access to them. They are usually positioned right where everyone can see them. What’s more, marketed as ‘penny slots,’ it’s hard to resist the idea of making a small bet for the chance at a big win. And, in all fairness, you really can win big if you hit the right combinations.
The Biggest Penny Slot Wins in Vegas
Let’s look at some of the biggest Vegas penny slot wins…
A Smokin’ Hot Win
In January 2020, a visitor from Roseville tried her luck at McCarran International Airport. To her astonishment, she struck it big, raking in a massive $11,761 while playing penny slot machines at the airport. This lucky punter, Ulla T, put her pennies in Smokin’ Hot Stuff Wicked Wheel and the rest, as they say, is history.
A Super Lucky Spin
Even more exciting is the windfall enjoyed by a hardworking landscaper from Reno, Nevada. Lawrence Fuller, who has had some employment issues for the past 15 years, decided to try his luck at the Atlantis Casino Resort Spa in Reno. In the early hours of a Sunday morning, the unmistakable sound of jackpot bells reverberated through the casino. Spinning the reels of Super Lucky Times Pay slot machine game – a penny slot, he placed a $1.80 bet and managed to pocket a staggering $888,585.03.
Since his big payout on January 5, 2020, he has enjoyed a number of jackpot wins, totaling an estimated $15,000 in winnings.
A Tasty Windfall
In September 2017, a Texan woman hit a massive jackpot while playing the Willy Wonka: World of Wonka slot machine game. This penny slot paid out a whopping $787,842 at Harrah’s Casino in Las Vegas. What’s more, just a few months prior, in June 2017, it paid out a massive $944,337 to two fortunate winners.
So clearly there’s plenty of money to be won on penny slot machine games. But do you have what it takes to win the golden ticket?
How to Win at a Penny Slot Game?
If you fancy trying your luck at a penny slot game, here are some things to consider…
- Bet Wisely: Make sure you understand the minimum and maximum bets for the specific penny slot machine you’re playing… don’t assume you can bet $0.01. It’s a good idea to bet the maximum if you can afford it as it usually unlocks higher payouts and progressive jackpots.
- Pick the Right Game: Choose a penny slot with a theme and gameplay that you like. Different games have different odds and features, so pick one that you like playing.
- Practice for Free: Most online casinos offer free versions of penny slots. You can use these to practise and understand the game’s mechanics spending your own real money.
- Manage Your Bankroll: Set yourself a budget for your gaming session and stick to it. You should never chase losses, and know when to walk away if you’ve won. This is key to long-term success.
- Know the Pay Tables: Check out the paytable for each game and make sure you understand the symbol values and special features – as it can help you make more informed betting decisions.
- Play Progressive Penny Slots: If you’re after the big win, then consider progressive penny slots. These have the potential for some serious wins.
- Play Responsibly: Remember that penny slots are for entertainment. Don’t spend money you can’t afford to lose, and always play responsibly.
- Trust Your Instincts: Sometimes, luck plays a big role. If you have a good feeling about a particular game, trust your instincts – but make sure you still stick to your budget.
- Have Fun: Ultimately, winning at penny slots should simply make it even more enjoyable – but it’s not all about winning. Savour the experience and the thrill of the spin.
So, hopefully, you know a bit more about penny slots – and why they aren’t exactly penny slots! Whether playing online or in Las Vegas, pick your game wisely, set your budget and see if you have what it takes to be a penny slot winner.