Installations Are Part Of The Las Vegas Boulevard Improvement Project
The first of eight refurbished and historic neon signs has been installed as part of the continuing Las Vegas Boulevard Improvement Project. The signs are owned by the city of Las Vegas, The Neon Museum and Young Electric Sign Company (YESCO), and will be installed over the next several months.
The signs will join the existing eight classic neon signs already installed in the Las Vegas Boulevard median from Sahara Avenue to just north of Washington Avenue. The signs celebrate the history of vintage Vegas, beautify a world-famous roadway and create a neon trail to The Neon Museum.
All eight of the neon signs will be officially lit next spring to celebrate the completion of the $125 million Las Vegas Boulevard Improvement project, which also included the additions of the gateway arches and showgirls signage. The eight neon signs were refurbished by YESCO, with funding provided by the Commission for the Las Vegas Centennial.
The Par-A-Dice Motel sign is the first of the new signs to be installed just north of Oakey Boulevard on Las Vegas Boulevard. The sign was originally located at 2217 Fremont St., for a motel that opened its doors in 1953.
The other signs set to be installed on Las Vegas Boulevard in the coming months include:
- Apache Motel, 1965, to be installed north of Bridger Avenue;
- Golden Inn Motel, 1960, to be installed south of Bridger;
- Clark Inn, 1962, to be installed north of Clark Avenue;
- Lone Palm Motel, 1954, to be installed north of Garces Avenue;
- Domino Motel, 1960s, to be installed north of Hoover Avenue;
- Fun City Motel, 1952, to be installed just south of Charleston Boulevard; and
- Rummel Motel, 1968, to be installed south of Oakey.
“We are nearing completion of the massive Las Vegas Boulevard Improvement Project, and now we get to add the little touches that make our city so special,” Mayor Carolyn G. Goodman said. “These beautifully restored historic signs add to the vintage Vegas vibe in our downtown and provide a connective theme from the fabulous Gateway Arches and our larger-than-life showgirls all the way to the fantastic Neon Museum.”
The newly refurbished signs will join the historic signs on Las Vegas Boulevard already in place that include:
- The Horseshoe Casino, 1951, now located just north of Washington;
- Silver Slipper Casino, 1950, now located near the Neon Museum at McWilliams Avenue;
- Bow and Arrow Motel, 1950s, now located south of McWilliams;
- Society Cleaners, 1946, now located just south of U.S. 95/Interstate 515;
- Normandie Motel, 1940s, now located just north of Stewart Avenue;
- Lucky Cuss Motel, 1955, now located just south of Stewart; and
- Hacienda Casino, 1956, now located at Fremont Street.